Optometry Student Extern Application
An extern is defined as an unregulated student of an accredited university optometry program, an unregulated student of a non-accredited optometry program; or, an unregulated graduate of a non-accredited optometry program who is currently enrolled in the International Optometric Bridging Program. All students must work under the supervision of a Regulated Member.
An Extern Application Form must be completed and signed by the supervising optometrist, a representative of the student’s School of Optometry or a representative of the International Optometric Bridging Program. The Alberta College of Optometrists also requires that the supervising optometrist either add the student extern to their liability insurance coverage or obtain a copy of the School of Optometry’s global insurance coverage for students which specifies the coverage for students under their program. The extern student should also be clearly identified to the public and other staff (e.g. via a name tag).
Section 14 (1) and (2) of the Optometrists Profession Regulation states that a student who is enrolled in a program of optometry approved by the Council may perform the restricted activities specified in the regulation. The supervising optometrist would be required to meet the following conditions:
- Must be a regulated member practicing full time in Alberta.
- Must provide direct on-site supervision during examination procedures.
- Must review and verify as required all examination results and alter, if required, all recommended treatment procedures.
- Sign the examination record and prescription form prior to the patient leaving the office.
- Maintain liability insurance in the minimum amount of $3 million. This insurance coverage may be provided by the students University Global Insurance coverage, the student themselves or the regulated member who is supervising the student.
No fee is charged for participating in this program. However, all Externship Programs must be approved by the Registrar, Alberta College of Optometrists. The term of the extern program must be clearly listed on the Extern Application Form and any change to the term of the Externship Program must also be approved by the Registrar.